200+ Depression quotes to add a melancholic
Are you someone who likes to sit around corners and hides tears without even realizing it? Or someone who steals away from the crowd that has probably gathered together to celebrate your own birthday?
Do you feel misunderstood in spite of trying to explain yourself each time round and the same aura gets reflected through your Instagram profile as well?
Or maybe, you are just a writer, social observer or a near and dear one for someone who has been depressed for some point of time.
As someone in the former shoes, you can always share quotes or anecdotes on your Instagram about depression, how it eats away at yourself or the people you care for or how it is a silent monster.
A study revealed that one in thirty-three children and one in eight adolescents have clinical depression.
Also, World Health Organization claims that 300 million people around the world have depression.
If you are curious about more of such stats and facts about depression, have a look at these depression statistics that everyone ought to know.
With such a high population suffering from depression and dealing with the daily struggle of being misunderstood by society, it’s natural for them to turn to the online platform for inspiration or empathy.
One of the most frequented online addresses for these searching souls happens to be Instagram.
Therefore, by being a beacon for these severely misunderstood people, you can definitely feel good and receive kind feedback.
You are just a click away from being the online sanctum for depressed people. Besides, your profile is also bound to be on the ‘Followed’ lists of poets, writers, quote hunters and passionate readers.
Now that you know how uploading depression quotes can add not only to being a motivation but also end up a boost for your Instagram handle, here is a list of depression quotes you can check out for letting the ideas stream in.
How life is severely misunderstood, and you give in to it- depression quotes about “life”
Life is a journey, not a destination. However, it’s not always the journey that you want to take- for instance, the summer trip to the Cornish islands.
Sometimes, it is just full of dark places and sullen corners that scare you and make your steps stumble back.
On the contrary, people with an inborn tendency of getting sad and depressed about the little things tend to hit a wall sooner than the rest.
Following is a list of quotes shared by renowned figures who have battled depression in life, not necessarily winning against it:
- “I don’t fear death so much as I fear its prologues: loneliness, decrepitude, pain, debilitation, depression, senility. After a few years of those, I imagine death presents like a holiday at the beach”- Mary Roach.
- “People who have never dealt with depression think it’s just being sad or being in a bad mood. That’s not what depression is for me; it’s falling into a state of grayness and numbness”- Dan Reynolds.
- “Perhaps the saddest irony of depression is that suicide happens when the patient gets a little better and can again function sufficiently.”- Dick Cavett.
- “Only those with skin as thick as elephant hide can hope to sail through their teens unscathed by self-doubt and bouts of depression.”- Mariella Frostrup.
- “We live in a society bloated with data yet starved for wisdom. We’re connected 24/7, yet anxiety, fear, depression and loneliness is at an all-time high. We must course-correct.”- Elizabeth Kapu’uwailani Lindsey.
- “I’ve struggled with depression in my life and sort of the way that the depression itself becomes an addiction.”- Joanna Going
- “Positive emotion alienated from the exercise of character leads to emptiness, to inauthenticity, to depression, and, as we age, to the gnawing realization that we are fidgeting until we die.”- Martin Seligman.
- “Instead of seeing depression as a dysfunction, it is a functioning phenomenon. It stops you cold, sets you down, makes you damn miserable.”- James Hillman.
- “I think people who suffer from depression, unless it’s post-traumatic, are probably going to struggle with it for their whole life.”- Christina Ricci.
- “A lot of people like to judge you and make fun of you on the Internet, and people make you feel crazy whenever you’re in a depression or having anxiety or having a panic attack.”- Noah Cyrus.
It is not really an unknown fact that in today’s world, depression stands as the number one health problem.
As a matter of fact, depression is so commonplace that it’s often considered to be the “common cold” of psychiatric disturbances.
How loving also means making your heart vulnerable- quotes about the price that it comes with
Love is one of the most beautiful sentiments that you can experience as a human being.
It is something that you feel for another human, an animal or something inanimate like a souvenir from your ancestors or a passion that has kept you going.
However, loving with all your heart also makes you vulnerable for getting it broken. More often than not, this leads to depression and self-harm- here is a list of depression quotes about love that you can share on Instagram:
- “Until this moment, I had not realized that someone could break your heart twice, along the very same fault lines.”- Jodi Picoult.
- “She went around with a broken heart, and she wasn’t sure who’d broken it. She thought it was herself, mostly.”- Ann Brashares.
- “There is a distinct, awful pain that comes with loving someone more than they love you.”- Steve Maraboli.
- “When you think your first falling in love, just then you realize your falling out of love.”- David Grayson.
- “Yes, I understand why things had to happen this way. I understand his reason for causing me pain. But mere understanding does not chase away the hurt. It does not call upon the sun when dark clouds have loomed over me. Let the rain come then if it must come! And let it wash away the dust that hurt my eyes!”- Jocelyn Soriano.
- “I cannot eat, I cannot drink; the pleasures of youth and love are fled away: there was a good time once, but now that is gone, and life is no longer life.”- Plato.
- “Our greatest joy and our greatest pain come in our relationships with others.”- Stephen R. Covey.
- “The walls we build around us to keep sadness out also keeps out the joy.”- Jim Rohn.
- “Nothing is worse than when someone who’s supposed to love you just leaves.”- Ava Dellaira.
- “Every man has his secret sorrows which the world knows not; and often times we call a man cold when he is only sad.”- Henry Wadsworth Longfellow.
When depression takes a more serious turn- “self-harm” quotes
Sometimes, depression stops being a mere sadness or broodiness and affects your mind in such a way that you are persuaded to harm yourself physically. Here is a list of self-harm quotes on depression:
- “In case you didn’t know, dead people don’t bleed. If you can bleed- see it, feel it- then you know you’re alive. It’s irrefutable, undeniable proof. Sometimes I just need a little reminder.”- Amy Efaw.
- “I stopped. She was bleeding after all. Perfect lines crossed her wrists, not near any crucial veins, but enough to leave wet red tracks across her skin. She hadn;t hit her veins when she did this; death hadn’t been her goal.”- Richelle Mead.
- “Self-harm – the world will come at you with knives anyway. You do not need to beat them to it.”- Caitlin Moran.
- “Throughout it all, you are still, always, you: beautiful and bruised, known and unknowable.”- Leila Sales.
- “I can’t stop.”- Shane Koyczan.
- “The scars you can’t see are the ones that hurt the most.”- Michelle Hodkin.
- “I can feel the hurt. There’s something good about it. Mostly it makes me stop remembering.”- Albert Borris.
- “You have so much pain inside yourself that you try & hurt yourself on the outside because you want help.”- Princess Diana.
- “Would you carry a razor, in case, just in case of depression?”- David Bowie.
- “I may not be in control of anything else, but I am in control of my body.”- Karen Carpenter.
While self-harm quotes are fine, just in case you have a hunch that one of your followers Instagram Private Viewers are showing symptoms of acute depression, try helping. A shoulder is all it takes, at times.
What can be better than songs that resonate with your inner turmoil- song quotes
More often than not, you might have found yourself in situations where the relentless race inside your confused mind is reflected back at you like a boomerang while you’re listening to a song perhaps your friend suggested. Music heals, music feels and music at times “deals” with your depression. Have you been lucky enough to find the perfect song for yourself? Here is a list of quotes from famous songs that can be instant favorites among your Instagram viewers:
- “Am I the only one I know/ waging my wars behind my face and above my throat/ shadows will scream that I’m alone/ but I know, we’ve made it this far, kid.”
- “Can you build my house with pieces?/ I’m just a chemical.”
- “Sometimes I don’t really know myself/ Devil on my back, pray for me, need help.”
- “I wanna let go but there’s comfort in the panic/ And I drive myself crazy/ Thinking everything’s about me/ Yeah, I drive myself crazy/ ‘Cause I can’t escape the gravity”.
- “Drifting like a cast off, the shadows got it good/ With constant companions, would that I could.”
- “Need a place to hide/ but I can’t find one near/ Wanna feel alive, outside I can fight my fear.”
- “It’s so dark outside tonight/ Build a fire warm and bright/ And the wind it howls and bites/ Bite it back with all your might.”
- “I feel this unrest- That nests all hollowness/ For I have nowhere to go and I’m cold.”
- “I’m tired of being what you want me to be/ Feeling so faithless, lost under the surface/ I don’t know what you’re expecting of me/ Put under the pressure of walking in your shoes.”
- “Everywhere I look someone dies/ wonder when it’s my turn.”
“I’ve always liked depressing music because a lot of times, listening to it when you’re down can actually make you feel less depressed.
Also, even though a person may have problems with depression, sometimes you can actually be kind of comfortable in that space because you know how to operate within it.”- Chris Cornell.
How to wave a happy feather for all the depressed souls- motivating quotes
- “Aim high and don’t sell yourself short. Know that you’re capable. Understand that a lot of people battle with a lot of things – depression, body image or whatever else – so know that it’s not just you. You’re not alone.”- Holly Holm.
- “My character had been in the chair for seven years. He had gone through his anger, depression, drug and alcohol abuse. He had gone through everything, now he was up, he was happy, he was filled with his dream.”- Gregory Hines.
- “I’m not grateful for depression, but it honestly made me work harder and gave me the drive that I have to succeed and to make it work.”- Lili Reinhart.
- “You largely constructed your depression. It wasn’t given to you. Therefore, you can deconstruct it.”- Albert Ellis.
- “Enthusiasm is followed by disappointment and even depression, and then by renewed enthusiasm.”- Murray Gell-Mann.
- “Depression is something that doesn’t just go away. It’s just… there and you deal with it. It’s like… malaria or something. Maybe it won’t be cured, but you’ve got to take the medication you’re prescribed, and you stay out of situations that are going to trigger it.”- Adam Ant.
- “Thinking about death makes you analyze what life is. Anxiety makes you curious, and curiosity leads to understanding. I wouldn’t be a writer without depression.”- Matt Haig
- “You take the negative, the bitter, the pain, the suffering, the depression, and all of those are ingredients for something far more purposeful than you can imagine.”- Lecrae.
- “Anything that instills a sense of hope will at least temporarily help treat depression.”- Irving Kirsch.
- “Keep yourself busy if you want to avoid depression. For me, inactivity is the enemy.”- Matt Lucas.
It might so happen that the quotes you share on your profile are probably the reason just another forlorn soul is hanging on to the last straw!